News Posted in Local Developments, News.

Go-ahead for almost 200 homes despite objections

By Kelly Wickham
kelly.wickham@sussexpost.co.uk

 

A planning application for nearly 200 new homes has been approved by district councillors.

 

The application is a two-phase plan for land on the northern edge of Selsey. The land compromises of a 7.022 hectare field east of Manor Road, near the Asda superstore.

 

The full application is for 119 homes at the south of the site, and outline permission for 74 homes to the north.

 

The application was referred to the planning meeting, held on Wednesday morning due to local objections.

 

The proposal to re-develop the seven hectare site in two phases would see 30 per cent affordable housing.

 

The 83 market dwellings would be made up of:

 

  • 28 two-bedroom houses and flats
  • 42 three-bedroom houses
  • 13 four-bedroom houses

 

The 36 affordable dwellings would be made up of:

 

  • Four one-bedroom flats
  • 14 two-bedroom houses and flats
  • 12 three-bedroom houses
  • six four-bedroom houses

 

The phase two part would see 51 market dwellings and 23 affordable homes.

 

Selsey Town Council objected to the planning on the grounds that they remained concerned that the proposed drainage was unsatisfactory and likely to have an adverse impact on the adjoining land.

 

The housing allocations at Selsey had already been met in completions that had been undertaken since 2014. The council said that a further development on a scale and density such as this would have an adverse impact on the community in terms of health care, school provision and the adjoining road network.

 

Sidlesham Parish Council also objected to the application, saying the flood risk assessment failed to explain and fully realise the full implications of developing the site.

 

Officers said they would expect the liner to last well in excess of 20 years and that a management company would be put in place as part of the development to take care of such things.

 

Thirty-six of the first phase homes and 23 of the second phase would be affordable – a mixture of rented and shared ownership.

 

Committee chairman and councillor for Selsey, Cllr Carol Purnell, referred to Selsey’s large waiting list for homes.

 

The committee voted in favour of allowing the application but there will be a deferment for section 106 agreements.

 

These are agreements between the council and developers to mitigate the impact of a development on a local community and infrastructure.

Posted in Local Developments, News.